…nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.
No, I’m not playing a mage now. It’s just a neat quote.
We got back from honeymoon a few days ago, and after some severe issues getting the client patched, are enjoying the wonders of 5.0.4. It truly is bounteous, at least from my current perspective as a PvP ret. Hilights:
- Sacred Shield wins at everything for PvP. It wins so hard.
- Burden of Guilt is fantastic. No longer feels like chasing ranged is such a chore.
- Similarly, making Exo instant-cast and adding HP to Exo, HoW and Judgement makes pallies much less vulnerable when not in melee range.
- HP generation overall just feels so much smoother. If Cata had come out with ret feeling like this, I probably wouldn’t have rolled another alt*.
- Resilience and PvP power are pretty easy to understand, and while the ilvl of PvP gear in general seems to have taken a nosedive, it’s good to see some stats other than straight resi on, for example, my freedom trinket.
- It’s nearly impossible to solo a paladin with any sort of decent amount of resi.
- I sort of miss Holy Wrath. Remapped the key to Divine Storm, and find myself occasionally mashing it out of reflex. Muscle memory’s a bitch.
The only regrettable point of 5.0.4 so far is that my framerates have taken a nosedive. Grabbing new drivers helped greatly, but it’s still difficult to maintain the steady 60fps that I was seeing prepatch. In the meantime I’ve streamlined my addons down to Dominos, VuhDo, Recount and IceHud for all of my characters. Also took the time to set up Bugsack to see what’s misbehaving. The answer is always, depressingly enough, VuhDo.
Apart from random focus-frame errors when I have no focus frame, VuhDo seems to think it needs to cast my glyphs, hide my holy power frame (???!), reforge my gear… honestly, it’s a bit depressing for an addon that I’ve come to rely on so much. Healbot is apparently similarly broken. So yeah, possibly in the market for an alternative there.
IceHUD, on the other hand, is surprisingly powerful. I’ve set it up with custom bars to track Inquisition, Slice n Dice, Rupture, etc. It’s got standard modules to handle runes and combo points. The castbars are a bit unusual and I need to get used to interrupting on them again, but that’s just experience. Not sure why it never made its way onto my interface before.
* THIS IS A BLATANT LIE